Thursday, June 6, 2013

Black Bean Goodness

So yesterday I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer and in an effort to be thrifty, I rummaged through my meager "pantry" in an attempt to find something that I could turn into dinner. What I found was a can of sardines, some canned tomatoes, black beans, and lots of random rices! Of all the options the black beans looked the most promising...so I was off to Pinterest to see if I could dig up a recipe to make some burgers. Eureka! I found a low fat recipe, and because I'm crafty, switched it up a little bit because I don't know about you, but this girl doesn't have "artificial smoke flavor" readily available! Here's the deliciousness that I came up with:

Black Bean Burgers!

Black Bean Burgers
Makes 4
3 PPV per patty

1 tbsp chia seeds, smashed with mortar and pestle
3 tbsp warm water

1- 15oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
2 gloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Cooking spray
  1. In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds and water. Let sit for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. 
  2. In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and mix well with your hands. Divide the goo into 4 equal patties and place flat on a plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, until firm.
  3. Spray a large pan with cooking spray and heat over medium high. Cook patties until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Best eaten the same day you make them, but they are ok microwaved the next day for lunch :)

No comments: