Summer is over and fall is here! The squash are still gorgeous...so I had to say one last farewell to summer through something amazingly delicious and baked! I also love caramelized onions and had some thyme in my fridge...so I whipped this up for a fantastical dinner! Feel free to add mushrooms, or bacon, or ham, or whatever else you think would be tasty!
Zucchini & Yellow Squash Quiche
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced with mandolin
1 yellow squash, thinly sliced with mandolin
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 wedge Jarlsberg cheese, shredded
1 c heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 disc of your favorite pie dough
- Prepare your crust in a pie pan and refrigerate for ~30 minutes. Meanwhile...over medium high heat, saute your onion until lovely and caramelized. Set aside.
- Prepare squash, thyme, and cheese. Have them ready to rumble.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, whipping cream, thyme, and s&p. Whisk until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Get ready to assemble your quiche!!! Remove the crust from the fridge. Put in caramelized onion. Layer half the yellow squash and zucchini over it. Sprinkle half the cheese over this. Repeat. Carefully pour your egg mixture over the squash.
- Bake your quiche at 350F for 45-60 minutes, or until middle is set. Remove and cool for 10 minutes before cutting.