No...I'm not Jewish! But I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I am teaching seminary this year! Seminary (if you don't know) is an early morning class designed for high school students that helps them get to know the scriptures better and this year we're studying the Old Testament! We decided early on that we would celebrate all of the Jewish holidays and this week is Purim! Yippee for Esther being brave and BOOOOOOO on Haman!!! If you want to know the harrowing details you can check out the book of Esther in the Old Testament...but let's just say that she risked her life several times to save her people.
As with every celebration...I have to make food! Today was no exception! I found a recipe for a lovely Purim brunch coffeecake and adapted it to meet my gluten free needs! The results...PURE GENIUS!!!!! This cake is moist and hits all of the happy places on your tongue! Happy Purim everyone!
Gluten Free Blueberry Purim Coffeecake
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp. lemon zest, grated
1 large egg, room temperature
1 1/2 c. gluten free all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur)
1 tsp. xanthan gum
2 tbsp. poppy seeds
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sour cream
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries, washed and drained on paper towel
1/3 c. sugar
1 tbsp. gluten free all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur)
1/4 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9" springform pan.
- In a bowl beat together the sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add lemon zest and egg and beat for 2 minutes on a medium speed
- In another bowl mix the flour, xanthan gum, poppy seeds, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture alternately with sour cream. The batter will be thick! Spread over the bottom of the pan.
Make filling & assembly:
- In another bowl combine filling ingredients and spoon over the batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar on top once cooled.
- Serve warm or cold. Great with whipped cream.