This past Saturday I threw a baby shower for a sweet friend of mine and a little birdie told me that cheesecake was her favorite. Naturally, I busted out my favorite cheesecake cookbook Cheesecake Extraordinaire by Mary Crownover and went to work! This one is surprisingly light, given the two pounds of cream cheese involved! The top layer of sweetened sour cream gives it just the right boost! I did add a few things in the directions just to make it easier for you! Happy baking!
Super New York-Style Cheesecake
Vanilla Wafer Crust-
38-40 vanilla wafer cookies, Nilla wafers work the best
1/2 c. butter, melted
- In a food processor, pulse the cookies until they are fine crumbs. With processor on, drizzle in butter until all crumbs are moist. Pulse if needed to mix.
- Press crumb mixture evenly onto the bottom and about 3/4 of an inch up the sides of a greased 9-inch springform pan. Wrap the outside of the pan in foil to avoid drips in your oven. Set aside.
New York Filling-
32 oz. cream cheese, full fat please!, at room temperature
1 c. sugar
3 tbsp. flour
5 large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. finely grated orange zest
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. sour cream
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a mixer combine cream cheese, sugar and flour. Beat until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating between additions. Add in whipping cream, orange zest, lemon zest and 1 tsp. vanilla. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl as you mix! Pour the cream cheese mixture over the crust.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 200F and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the center no longer looks wet or shiny. It should still jiggle a little in the center when you shake the cake. Remove the cake from the oven.
- Stir together the sour cream, 2 tbsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Spread over the warm cheesecake.
- Return cheesecake to the oven and bake for 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and run a sharp knife around the inside edge of the pan. Do not chill cheesecake.
- Makes 12-18 slices