Saturday, December 18, 2010

Quinoa: It's What's for Breakfast!


Quinoa? For breakfast? Yup! It's true!!! In an effort to be healthier and feel better in general I am avoiding gluten at all costs. I've been making super delicious smoothies for breakfast but with the cooler weather I'm pretty much done with freezing cold breakfasts! I've been looking for some sort of warm breakfast that didn't include eggs or wheat and PRESTO! Martha Stewart hooked me up! Check out the January issue of MSLiving for more recipes but here's one that I've tried and adapted!

Here is the recipe for a tasty & gluten/dairy free breakfast:

1/2 c. cooked quinoa (or however much you want to eat!), heated
1/4 c. rice milk (or whatever amount makes the cereal wet enough for you)
Handful of blackberries
Handful of nuts (almonds, pecans or walnuts are best)
1 tbsp honey

1. Heat quinoa in a bowl. Pour your "milk" over the quinoa.
2. Load it up with the nuts, berries and honey

Note: The original recipe uses chopped avocado instead of berries and it was equally as delicious!

No comments: