Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Say it with me now...Chowder!!!




The other day I nearly fainted at the beautiful salmon that they had at Safeway! I typically don't get excited about the fish at Safeway but it was GORGEOUS! I got two lovely "filets" and was happily on my way. I realized that I had too much fish for just me unless I was creative and made something that reheated well (I can't handle reheated fish...it grosses me out.) What I came up with was Salmon Chowder!!!! It was easy and ever so delicious! So delicious that it didn't matter that it was 90F outside! I also made some drop biscuits to go along with it but you can whip up the Baking Powder Biscuits that I posted a while back.

Salmon Chowder

1/2 lb. red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 lb. thick sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch-wide strips
2 c. chopped scallions (2 bunches)
1 c. fresh or frozen corn
1 tbsp. finely chopped garlic (3 cloves)
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp. red-pepper flakes
3 c. whole milk
2/3 heavy whipping cream
2 lb. of salmon filets, bones, skinned and cut into one inch cubes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Cook potatoes in a 1- to 1 1/2- quart heavy saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, about 8-10 min. Drain and set aside.

Cook bacon in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Add scallions, corn, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and red-pepper flakes and cook over a moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until scallions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add milk and cream and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to moderately low, then add potatoes, salmon, salt and pepper and cook, gently stirring occasionally, until salmon is just cooked through and begins to break up as you stir, 5-8 minutes. Discard bay leaf before serving.

*Note: If there is an excess of bacon fat feel free to drain some of it off but it is needed for flavor so don't do away with it completely! You can also add a squirt of lemon juice if you like.

No comments: