Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pre-Holiday Feast: Corn Casserole




My fabulous friends, the Conradts, are hosting a Thanksgiving dinner tonight and I got invited!!!! To contribute to the meal I'm bringing one of my favorite dishes from the mid-west...Corn Casserole. My first introduction to this dish happened in northern Illinois on a snowy Thanksgiving afternoon. My first college roommate, Lisa, invited me to her house for the holiday and I was ready to see what would be on the table. In one dish there was this weird yellowish, pudding like substance and I was a little bit grossed out...my mom was pretty hard core with fresh ingredients and casseroles were not part of my regular food intake. I asked what it was and Lisa explained that it was her gramma's corn casserole. They HAD to have it every year...it just wasn't Thanksgiving without it. I figured that I should try it if I was really going to experience Thanksgiving in Illinois and I was super happy that I did!!!! The casserole was sweet and savory and comforting all at the same time. The butter & cheese made it the perfect holiday dish! Go mid-west farmers!!!

Below you'll find the best recipe that I've found for Corn Casserole. It's from Paula Deen...the Duchess of Butter...and it is simply fantastic! Happy holidays!!!

Corn Casserole

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp Cheddar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.

Side note: I have noticed that this works better in a smaller "9x13" so if you have one, go for it!

No comments: